Late this evening, the Department of Defense announced the death of an airman who was supporting Operation Inherent Resolve in Kuwait. Tech. Sgt. David Board, 49, of Barboursville, West Virginia, died August 2, 2017, in Kuwait in a non-combat-related incident. The Pentagon indicated he was in support of combat operations at the time of the incident. It was not noted that the incident was under investigation.
Board was assigned to the 130th Airlift Wing at McLaughlin Air National Guard Base in West Virginia. His death is the third Air Force non-combat casualty in 2017.
Americans are now waiting for the official Department of Defense death notices on three other U.S. troops who were killed in Afghanistan this week. Unofficially, one Soldier is said to be with the Indiana National Guard and the two other Soldiers are from the Oklahoma National Guard, reportedly attached to a Mississippi Air Guard unit. Details will be published as soon as the official release comes out.
There seems to be some misunderstanding about how combat deaths are reported under the new administration. Last month, the commander of American forces in Afghanistan, Gen. John Nicholson said it will delay announcing troop casualties until after next of kin have been notified, potentially leaving casualties unreported for days. As it stands, the OFFICIAL announcements appear to be the only ones delayed. Local news sources are publishing the names of the deceased Soldiers along with unit affiliations and statements from the families. This writer only publishes confirmed deaths as they are released by the Pentagon.
Additional information on Technical Sgt. David Board, including marital status, commendations and previous deployments, is available to media sources by contacting the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety at 304-957-2515.