National Military News

Bringing You News Mainstream Media Doesn't Cover

Tag: Troop losses in Afghanistan (page 1 of 5)

Two U.S. Special Forces Soldiers killed in Afghanistan

Earlier today, the Pentagon announced the deaths of two U.S. soldiers who were supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel in Afghanistan.

Killed in the fight from small-arms fire were Master Sgt. Luis F. DeLeon-Figueroa, 31, of Chicopee, Massachusetts and Master Sgt. Jose J. Gonzalez, 35, of La Puente, California.  Both soldiers were promoted to the rank of Master Sergeant posthumously.  They both died yesterday, August 21, 2019.
 
The Master Sergeants were assigned to 1st Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
 
Additional information, including previous deployments and special training for Master Sgt. DeLeon-Figueroa and Master Sgt. Gonzalez, is available to media sources by contacting Lt. Col. Loren Bymer, Public Affairs Chief, US Army Special Operations Command, at 910-432-3383 or loren.bymer@socom.mil.

The deaths of these soliders were the 13th and 14th U.S troops killed in Afghanistan this year. The incident remains under investigation.

Earlier this week, it was announced that, Spc. Clayton James Horne, 23, of Atlanta, Louisiana, died August 17, 2019, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.  His death was non-combat related.  National media sources indicate his death was a result of a fall.  The incident is also under investigation.  Horne was assigned to the 351st Military Police Company, 160th Military Police Battalion, Ocala, Florida.  

Two U.S. Soldiers identified as latest casualties in Afghanistan

Early this morning, the Department of Defense announced the deaths of two American Soldiers who were supporting Operation Freedom’s Sentinel in Afghanistan.

Killed in the incident were Pfc. Brandon Jay Kreischer, 20, of Stryker, Ohio, and Spc. Michael Isaiah Nance, 24, of Chicago, Illinois.

The Soldiers died in the same incident July 29, 2019, in Tarin Kowt, Uruzgan Province, Afghanistan, as a result of wounds sustained in a combat related incident.

Afghan officials told Stars and Stripes on Tuesday that both men were shot by an Afghan solider at a military base in the Shah Wali Kot district in southern Kandahar province. The 82nd Airborne confirmed the soldiers were struck by small-arms fire in Kandahar.

The incident remains under investigation. 

The Pentagon said that both Spc. Nance and Pfc. Kreischer were assigned to 1st Battalion, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.  This unit had deployed just a few weeks prior to the incident.

Additional information on these two Soldiers, including previous deployments, military training and marital status is available to media sources by contacting Lt. Col. Mike Burns, Public Affairs Officer, 82nd Airborne Division, at (910) 432-6189 or michael.j.burns34.mil@mail.mil.

Another U.S. warfighter dies in Helmand Province, Afghanistan

 

 

An Army National Guard Soldier from North Carolina, was killed October 4, 2018, while supporting Operations Resolute Support and Freedom’s Sentinel in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

Spc. James A. Slape, 23, from Morehead City died as a result of wounds sustained from an improvised explosive device. The incident is under investigation by the U.S. military.

Slape was assigned to 60th Troop Command, North Carolina Army National Guard, Washington, North Carolina.

According to Fox News, Slape joined the National Guard in 2013. He was an explosive ordnance specialist and was promoted to the rank of sergeant following his death.

U.S. Forces suffered two losses last month. Command Sgt. Maj. Timothy A. Bolyard, 42, from Thornton, West Virginia, died September 3, 2018, of wounds sustained from small arms fire in Logar Province, Afghanistan, and Staff Sgt. Diobanjo S. Sanagustin, 32, from National City, California, died September 4, 2018, from a non-combat related injury at Bagram Airfield, in Bagram district, Parwan province, Afghanistan. Both incidents are under investigation by the military.

Additional information, regarding now Sgt. James A. Slape is available to media sources by contacting Lt. Col. Matt Devivo, state public affairs officer, North Carolina National Guard, at 919-612-9712 or by email at matthew.r.devivo.mil@mail.mil.

Helmand Province continues to be one of the most deadly regions for U.S. troops, especially U.S. Marines, in the Battle of Sangin in 2010-2011.

Older posts